CR Performance Optimisation Manager
General Position Definition/Outline of the Role:
The Shell UK Mobility business has a company owned presence of 525 service stations. As a Non Fuel Retail (NFR) business, CR UK sources products and services across a broad spectrum of FMCG categories. It works to a business model in which Shell does not take stock ownership but works with contracted organisations who offer an integrated service. This will include the procurement and distribution of products and services out to Shell UK company owned service stations.
CR UK has a core offer of FMCG products and services complemented with a food-for-now proposition (JOdbS & Costa Express) as showcased on Shell Select service stations. This is enhanced with a food-for-later and top-up convenience offer developed in close collaboration with alliance partners (Waitrose & Budgens). To drive long term sustainable growth, the business is focused on developing an ever-evolving offer that satisfies the needs of a diverse customer base. Each service station needs to provide customers with an optimal mobility offer and must cater to customers with different retail shopping missions.
The NFR 50:50 growth aspirations of the broader Shell organisation cannot be maximised without a constant pursuit of profitable excellence in CR execution. Critical to the health of a CR business is a continuous programme of measurement and improvement. The CR Performance Optimisation Manager JG6 will be responsible for ensuring such excellence through the provision of stringent commercial performance tracking and/or financial modelling, whilst delivering best-in-class CR operational business support. This will allow the broader team(s) to optimise range and revenue performance and pursue a diverse range of new commercial growth opportunities.
Mobility is a core face of Shell. It touches the lives of 30 million customers every single day. This makes Mobility a primary driver for the Shell brand. We take this responsibility seriously, placing customers at the heart of our daily business, treating each interaction as a chance to bring our purpose to life and making people’s journeys better.
It is an exciting time to be joining Mobilty UK as Shell evolves from a ‘fuels retailer’ to ‘mobility retailer’, innovating to meet changing customer expectations around convenience, quality, digitalisation and services. Shell is at the leading edge of the energy transition, expanding into alternative energy whether LNG, hydrogen, EV charging or biofuels.
Within CR we look beyond the forecourt, forming strategic partnerships with leading brands to offer a broader breadth of products and services, helping customers optimise their fast-paced modern life. In the UK, our CR alliance partnerships cover a wide range of areas including Costa Express, Jamie Oliver (healthier food-for-now), Waitrose and Budgens (extended grocery for Top Up shopping), Halfords (new truck/car care range) and Deliveroo (home delivery).
All of the above has meant that CR UK continues to drive record performance year after year, delivering growth ahead of the market. This is a unique opportunity to join the high performing CR Team in a role that has business critical areas of responsibility, allowing the successful candidate to make their own mark.
The backbone of a successful UK CR business is underpinned with robust business and operational practices, first-class performance tracking, best-in-class partner management and a continuous improvement culture. It is pivotal to being competitive in the retail environment. The purpose of this role will be to work with different stakeholders to support in driving performance and profit optimisation for the evolving CR UK offer. The role will perform the essential operational business support functions needed within CR (including but not limited to product and promotional set-up, price file maintenance and retailer liaison). The position holder will therefore be required to liaise with or represent various CR functions, in particular Supply Chain, CR Optimisation and Category Management, whilst working with Operations, Sales and Network to aid delivery of the CR UK Business Targets.
As CR Performance Optimisation Manager, the successful candidate must perform a multi-faceted role. He/she will be responsible for the on time execution of critical CR operational tasks fundamental to the running of the offer. This will require strong process-driven, stakeholder management and commercial skills with notable attention to detail. He/She will further be responsible for providing key stakeholders with ad hoc data and/or metrics to ensure profitable growth, now and in the future. Due to the wide scope of work, the position holder must have a proven aptitude for continuous improvement combined with the analytical skills required to provide valuable data and insights when requested. There will be simultaneous timelines and he/she will be required to champion the pursuit of incremental sales, revenue or cost saving efficiencies across the UK retail business. The role will need to form clear and robust ways of working with the Data & Analytics Hub Chennai and SBO Manilla.
Key accountabilities include but are not limited to:
• Develop and maintain key operational CR processes (including but not limited to Price File Creation and Maintenance, Promotional Set-Up, Credit Processing and Master Data Maintenance)
• Act as a focal point for Manilla SBO; serving as interface for product and promotional setup
• Ensure that CR UK has the most effective MI practices, processes and support in place to secure best in class insights leading to enhanced performance results
• Provide a supporting role as a business analytics translator for the CR UK Team into Chennai SBO (ensuring local requirements are understood and SBO Hub deliver fit for purpose insights or analytics tools and dashboards)
• Engage and support in development for new MI reporting; ensuring robust process documentation is in place to enable Chennai Hub to accurately produce and deliver against any Retail MI requirement
• Conduct impact analysis utilising supply chain partner KPIs
• Provide an agile response when needed for a differing range of bespoke activities (incl. senior management commercial data requests, modelling of potential new business opportunities)
• Monitor and maintain the accuracy of data quality within RSTS & all CR reports
• Establish a multi-functional relationship across all levels of the UK retail business; ensuring continuous improvement in the provision of UK CR data, tracking and deliverables against targets
• Work with CR, Finance and Operations Team to support the delivery of annual T&R forecasting, phasing and RBA Deal Planning requirements
• Support the CR Optimisation Manager JG5 position in the provision of their responsibilities
• To deliver all of the above, demonstrate a clear understanding of retail fundamentals such as assortment, merchandising, promotions and operational processes
Shell continues to strive to build a professional retail organisation. Direct experience or a clear understanding of the UK convenience retail business will be a clear advantage in any application. The following requirements will form a key part of the evaluation process and candidate selection for this role:
• Highly analytical; very robust analytical skills with a rounded understanding of the dynamics of the shopper and the retailer, underpinned by a deep consumer led mindset
• Competent commercial acumen; robust functioning understanding of the metrics for sales, margin and profitability supported with strong understanding of all performance influencing factors
• Good technical competence; extensive experience of use of all core MI tools (Excel, Business Objects, Alteryx and Power BI, with previous use of Shell retail systems being an advantage)
• Result driven mindset; able to deliver against or support delivery of stretching business targets
• Positive self-starter; able to act as an advocate for change, seeking constant business or process improvements
• Strong relationship management skills; able to adapt approach to different audiences or circumstances
• Strong interpersonal skills; able to engage, influence or challenge different levels of stakeholders as and when required
• Collaborative; able to work across multiple external and internal touch points, a strong team player
• Agility; able to respond at speed to changing business demands, reacting to challenging or unforeseen circumstances in a calm and measured manner
• Resilience; up for a challenge and able to prioritise workload when under pressure from different stakeholders
• Relevant experience; first-hand experience and understanding of FMCG or direct consumer goods retailing experience is a key advantage, as well as sound knowledge of
Convenience Retail in general.
UK retail channels are evolving at a fast pace with supermarkets or other competitors entering the convenience channel. To become the preferred convenience retailer in the mobility channel, Shell UK must have best practices in place that put our service stations and retailers at a competitive advantage. The CR Performance Optimisation Manager must be able to deliver against a wide range of KPIs, to support their peers through on time operational process delivery, and through the provision of quality data that delivers a continuous step-change in business performance.