Principal Tech Lead – Energy Data and Decision Making
This company’s global Trading and Supply business is one of the largest energy trading operations in the world with key hubs in Singapore, Dubai, Houston, London, and Rotterdam, trading in crude oil, natural gas, LNG, electrical power, refined products, chemical feedstocks and environmental products. This combined with an integrated network of supply and distribution activities and an industry-leading shipping and maritime capability add value across its Upstream and Downstream businesses.
To enable value to the Business through IT, this company continues to expand investment in data and analytics. A key enabler for on business outcomes, the company’s Energy arm is developing a global-scale Data platform, based on Microsoft Azure and open source components, to power our 2025 growth ambitions, enabling business agility. The Data platform is the base for a number of critical data-driven solutions supporting multiple trading desks globally.
As the Principal Technical Lead, you will provide technical leadership and architectural design:
• Accountable for the technical design and standards for data products in the Energy arm, partnering with the Product Manager to lead implementation. You’ll champion building and improving the engineering culture which may include hands-on support for your team.
• Provide technical leadership for 6-9 other Products, supporting the Technical Leads in those teams (each of which has 6-15 people). In practice, this means you’re accountable for ensuring for defining best practice and ensuring it is properly implemented across these teams.
• Work closely with a wide range of business and IT stakeholders to ensure the correct day-to-day and strategic technical decisions are made, implemented, and documented
• build and maintain motivated teams, ensuring that we recruit the right staff, and develop our staff to the best of their abilities
• protect the team and make sure the team collaborates, communicates and focuses on what is most important
• proactively manage dependencies, overcome obstacles, and get the best value against constraints, including ensuring that trade-offs or technical debt are properly articulated and managed.
Dimensions of the role
• Typical Experience: 15+ years in IT with 10+ years of building and leading software engineering teams in growing organisations
• Typical Team Size: Core team of 6 platform engineers, plus 7 product Technical Leads and up to 50 indirect reports. Global team – with stakeholders focussed in EU but development teams across UK, India, US, and Australia
• Supporting the Energy arm’s Global IT Managers and IT Portfolio Managers who own the relationship with trading VPs (JGA/SEG) in multiple regions
• Significant experience working on projects with a diverse range of data types – ‘big data’, high velocity streaming data including IOT, low latency event triggers, longitudinal time series data, etc.
• Strong understanding of data management practices – data engineering and pipeline development, warehousing, storage, lifecycle management, privacy, security etc.
• Excellent C#/.NET and Python skills
• hands on experience with data engineering tooling such as databricks/Spark, ADF, Apache Airflow
• Experience with SQL, document and NoSQL databases.
• Significant experience with Azure Functions, Web Apps, and distributed/ event-driven architecture (event hub, event bus, kafka etc.), ELK, etc.
• 5+ years experience with CI/CD delivery using GIT, VSTS/ADO, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible, etc.
• A stand out candidate would have practical agile experience in both start-up and enterprise environments
• Not required, but a standout candidate would have an understanding of data used in commodity trading
o Strong knowledge of trading and market drivers for gas, power, and environmental products, including the importance of fundamentals (supply / demand / capacity / inventory / prices / trades / etc.) in market price movements and potential sources of this data.
o Strong knowledge of fundamental modelling and curve trading, including the use of statistical analysis in predictive models for supply/demand and price forecasting.
o Industrial customer portfolios – forecast generation and analysis, customer constraints, tranche pricing, indexation monitor.
o Risk metrics (for example – exposure, PnL, M2M, VaR, Score cards, stress testing, M2M/PnL explained, incremental VaR) – how they are calculated and how they are used by trading businesses
• Big picture thinking – correctly diagnosing problems and implementing innovative solutions
You’ll use your technical background to understand the codebase and services in the environment, and how they fit in to the wider Energy picture to ensure that solutions make sense both individually and as part of a larger whole.
• Knowledge of trading related operating environment
You’ll have strong communication and collaboration skills, along with 5+ Years’ experience working in a trading related environment (energy & commodities trading, banking or consultancies) with Front Office Trading Managers.
• Communicating between the technical and non-technical
Able to listen to the needs of technical and business stakeholders and interpret them. Able to manage stakeholders’ expectations and be flexible, is capable of proactive and reactive communication. Facilitates difficult discussions within the team or with diverse senior stakeholders.
• Generate technical design to solve business problems
Well designed systems balance risk, technical and business complexity, cost (including technical debt), and value. Working with technology in the company, or recommending technology we should introduce, you’ll create pragmatic, implementable technical designs.
• Maintaining delivery momentum
You’ll challenge decisions which don’t’ seem right and facilitate the technical decisions your team has to make. Able to facilitate the delivery flow of a team, managing the pace and tempo. Able to actively address internal and external risks, issues and dependencies including where ownership exists outside the team.
• Making the process work
Able to identify and challenge organisational processes of increasing complexity and those processes that are unnecessarily complicated. Able to add value and can coach the organisation to inspect and adapt processes. Guides teams through the implementation of a new process.
Understands the environment and is able to prioritise the most important or highest value tasks. Able to use data to inform planning. Able to manage complex internal and external dependencies. Able to provide delivery confidence. Able to remove blockers or impediments that affect the plan and is able to develop a plan for difficult situations. Ensures teams plan appropriately for their own capacity.
• Team dynamics and collaboration
Able to bring people together to form a motivated team. Able to empower delivery teams. Able to help create the right environment for a team to work in. Recognises and deals with issues. Able to facilitate the best team makeup depending on the situation.