Segment Data Architect: Power Trading
A World Leading Energy Trading Company has an exciting opportunity for a Segment Data Architect with Commodity Trading experience (ideally power) to join an innovative Data Architecture team.
The company’s global Trading and Supply business is one of the largest energy trading operations in the world with key hubs in Singapore, Dubai, Houston, London, and Rotterdam, trading in crude oil, natural gas, LNG, electrical power, refined products, chemical feedstocks and environmental products. This combined with an integrated network of supply and distribution activities and an industry-leading shipping and maritime capability add value for the company across its Upstream and Downstream businesses.
To enable value to the Business through IT, they continue to expand investment in data and analytics, with an ambition to share data and decision-making capabilities across the organization. This role is to support the IT delivery team to identify the future shape of that end to end landscape.
The Segment Data Architect role is to ensure that the business value of IT solutions and of enterprise data is maximized by applying knowledge of the business needs and opportunities, the business processes, the existing portfolio of IT applications, and the current and emerging technology and IT service capabilities, but most of all, the actual data used by all of these. They support and enable the execution of the Strategy and Plans for the Portfolio of applications.
The individual in this position is accountable for the delivery, consultancy and assurance for all Data Architecture in selected business segments, and for planning, coordinating and steering any resources that are required to do so. The role is intended for Trading and Supply business to cover Energy (Power) and Cross Commodity functions. Assignment of the segments may change. Role requires strong domain knowledge of commodity trading and excellent understanding of energy trading (especially Power);
Segment Data Architect will be expected to work the relationship angle as well as ‘be the designer’. This involves managing relationships with key stakeholders like the IT and Business managers, CDO, Product teams, business analysts, business process Owners, Program and Project managers, and other Architects including Solution delivery architects.
Other accountabilities are as follows:
• Drive and manage the development and maintenance of the data architecture artifacts according to the data architecture standards, for any and all solution or segment architecture in Trading and Supply, including roadmap, data flows, data models, mastership, and utilization for the data within the business
• Identify and propose potential data model and data integration changes and improvements, including decommissioning systems and master data management solutions, data services.
• Work directly with Portfolio Mgt, the Business Interface IM/IT managers and Project/Business IT teams to implement the target portfolio and address data architecture issues in the portfolio.
• Actively participate in investment decisions related to future elements of the segment / portfolio, wherever it impacts data, along with other business and IT leaders, as input to the overall IT investment agenda for the business
• Advise and give input to development of IT strategy for the business
• Work closely with Segment architects and other architects to assure an efficient applications landscape and adherence to prevailing standards and guidelines.
• Ensure architecture artifact quality and retention in appropriate tools, e.g. BizzDesign, SAP Power Designer.
• Deliver or ensure delivery of data architecture artifacts, as listed above, including explicitly contributions to the Enterprise Data Model
• Guide and support project teams, solution architects and solution data architects on data architecture. Provide, or make available through others, expertise and support to project and support personnel on IT matters in the portfolio.
• Participate in governance processes and provide project solution design assurance in the domain e.g., assurance review and signoff, and share all relevant needed documentation.
• Facilitate Architecture Risk Assessments on projects, and conduct Assurance Reviews and signoff. Work with Business Lead Data Architect to agree which high risk projects require higher level oversight.
• Participate in and contribute into various architecture networks.
• Provide support and supervisory oversight to Data Modelers in the team, including overall development and coordination of data architects working in the portfolio. Keep Business Lead Data Architect up to date on data activities and resourcing within the segment of responsibility
• Work with Group-level architects to develop and improve architectural standards and reference architectures (Data models, application architecture standards, integration architecture standards, etc.)
• The Data architects are expected to champion the direction, design and implementation of the business data platforms and various IT interventions.
Key Skills and Experience Requirements:
• Be highly analytical – able to problem solve, absorb large amounts of detail and to see the big picture. Be able to manage conflicting ideas and demands to provide clarity.
• Be a good communicator – able to deliver a message effectively and concisely at all levels, on both a technical and a business level. Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Be self-motivated and self-starting – able to work with little supervision and able to pick up new or unfamiliar concepts quickly. Be confident and demonstrate good judgement. Be able to work in a demanding development environment.
• Agile working
• Be capable of challenging assumptions and driving out the fundamental goals and priorities of the business. Hands on experience building and delivering trading tools such as market analysis of fundamentals data
• Be technically savvy – understands data engineering tooling such as databricks/Spark, ADF, Apache Airflow, SQL, document and NoSQL databases, Azure Functions, Web Apps, and distributed / event-driven architecture
• Deliverable-oriented with focus on results. Do’er/hands-on attitude.
• Organized and methodical. Ability to initiate, plan and develop according to plan though coping with a level of uncertainty and risk.
• Rigorous, thorough and with a taste for detail.
• Experience in a multi-disciplined IT environment
• Experienced, global, virtual team worker
• Leadership & negotiating skills and ability to drive change using influence and networking
• Knowledge of all architecture aspects and keen to stay up to date with key developments in IT – affinity with the other Enterprise Architecture domains (process, applications, infrastructure, security, …)
• Hands on Experience with Power Designer, Bizz Design
This needs combining with a positive attitude and an ability to work within a large, globally dispersed project team in a multi-cultural environment. You also need to be a self-starter, a logical thinker and a quick learner, with strong initiative and excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills, able to write clearly and concisely.
We believe in equality of opportunity for all job applicants regardless of gender, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, creed or religion, disability, sexual orientation or age.
Specialising within Energy Trading, Oil & Gas, Financial Markets and TV & Entertainment, Eaglecliff Recruitment is ISO accredited, a Member of REC and listed within the top 4% for Financial stability by Dun & Bradstreet. Please telephone for an immediate response or email your CV for a reply within one hour. Eaglecliff Ltd is acting in the capacity of an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for contractor resourcing