Solution Architect : Energy B2B : Renewables
Skillpool: IT Architecture Standards & Solution Design
The world needs to produce more energy with fewer emissions if global society is to meet its development and environmental goals. Achieving these goals will require significant shifts in the way the world produces and uses energy over the course of this century. The company’s long term success relies on our ability to provide much needed energy and related products in a way that is commercially competitive as well as socially and environmentally responsible.
New Energies’ strategic goal is to build value chains in power to provide the company with portfolio resilience through the energy transition. We are working to understand these shifting landscapes, to seize the right business opportunities and lay foundations for new energy models which meet changing customer needs. We are keen to play our part in the transition towards a low carbon future. Any route we pursue must make commercial sense.
Solution Architect is responsible for delivering solution designs to projects. These solutions need to be fit for purpose within the portfolio, have technical integrity, the right TCO (total cost of ownership) through its life cycle and a good fit with the IT technology direction of the company. The resultant High Level Design have a measurable impact on the effectiveness and profitability of the business.
- Provide solution architecture development, consultancy and assurance to projects, making sure applications are well designed and conform to company standards and reference/segment architectures. The Solution Architect is accountable to the Project Manager for the architecture of a solution being developed and implemented until the successful deployment of the solution. This includes:
- Being the point of call for all architecture aspects of an IT Project.
- Being able to address and integrate the: Business Process, Data, Application, Technical and Information Security aspects of an IT Solution.
- Ensure projects solution architecture is documented using the relevant templates, tooling and conforms to standards.
- Coach detailed designers and business analysts in projects during their design work.
- Reviewing and accepting the detailed design of an IT solution.
- Support Segment Architects and reviews through the Architecture Review Board as required.
- Take an active role in documenting, improving & maintaining the Reference Models in Systems Architect. Lifting project deliverables to the Conceptual and Logical levels.
- Follow IT Technology developments in the market and leverage this knowledge in architecting solutions in the company. Ensure solutions are ‘future-proof’
- Stay in touch with development of standards and standard services in IT. To ensure the latest service developments are taken into account.
- Pro-actively contribute to the development of the Architecture community and be an ambassador for Architecture. Interact with stakeholders on architecture issues and strategic improvements where such expertise is required.
- Maintain knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements, including data privacy regulations (e.g. GDPR), and ensure that those are included in architecture design decisions.
- Responsible for championing and embedding Security by Design and Privacy by Design in projects, and to ensure that the appropriate design decisions are made, documented and implemented.
- Work with Information Risk Management in case of unclarity around Legal and Regulatory requirement
[Unique Characteristics of the Posting]
- Guiding integration options for diverse landscape of portfolio companies.
- Translating enterprise standards to the unique environment of New Energies B2B and B2C business entities.
- Providing architecture solution guidance and assurance for the utility supplier and service B2B and B2C for the entire lifecycle of the deal IT landscape within product development focused agile teams.
- Assist with assessment of market standard solutions and influence of vendor roadmaps and strategy.
The need to pro-actively identify and reconcile different – often competing – interests and requirements applicable to solutions, and the need to escalate conflicts timely as appropriate. Working across organization boundaries and translating between long term enterprise view and short term, business result oriented agile development.
Skills & Requirements:
- Typical Years of Experience: 7 to 10 years in IT with some IT leadership experience
- Minimum Education or Certification: 4-year Degree related to IT
- Typical Job Grade of Supervisor/Manager: JG1 or higher
- Strong stakeholder management skills; the role requires pro-active communication and an ability to work closely with other members in project teams and other disciplines in architecture in particular.
- Strong communication skills; the role requires effective written and verbal communications. Including the ability to communicate architectural viewpoints and decisions using content appropriate for the audience.
- Business skills; the role requires the ability to acquire and apply industry sector knowledge. Including the ability to establish the linkage between business value and technical architecture.
[Unique Skills & Requirements of the Posting]
- Experience in working with B2B solutions in Europe for Energy
- Experience with Europe energy supply (retail), both gas and power
- Experience with energy demand forecast and pricing systems
- Experience with transaction administration and billing/settlement for energy supplier
- Experience of working with integrating systems controlling DERMS and multi-product offerings
- Preference for working with Energy trading solutions in Europe markets
- Capability to define the end to end architecture and work closely with the development team for helping implement the architecture vision
- Knowledge in implementing cloud (AWS/Azure) based solutions for Energy B2B space
- Experience with vendor selection and past experience of working for energy retailer, ideally cross European