A Global Energy Company has an exciting opportunity for a Design Lead to join their Digital Innovation Hub.
The Innovation Hub sets out to do things differently by taking a unique approach of balancing human-centred and digital design with an agile technology capability to tackle complex problems in original ways.
With a huge variety of potential projects and digital products to build across the business you’ll be challenged to think and do differently, having the opportunity to get involved at all stages from discovery and design, to embedding and scaling.
A designer who can be hands on as well as lead projects? A manager who can look across multiple projects, advise on direction and troubleshoot where necessary? A leader who can inspire a design team to craft and deliver engaging products and strategic propositions? An intrapreneur that can help shape a new capability for one of the world’s biggest companies? Then this is for you.
What you’ll need in your toolkit
• A real breadth of design appreciation and expertise – from research and service design to experience and interaction design – it’s about championing a truly holistic proposition
• The ability to be highly independent, confident and flexible to adapt to a fluid landscape
• The capacity to learn and adapt to new ways of working and thinking, communicating effectively through storytelling and visuals yet also in a language that resonates with the business
• The aptitude to effectively manage and leverage stakeholders, illustrating the value that design can bring to the enterprise
What does a week in the life look like?
At a project level:
• Be actively involved in project work/creating a product; owning the desirability workstream. This may involve advocating a design thinking approach, carrying out research in the discovery phase, defining problems, crafting propositions at a service design level and taking a human centred lens to embedding products and services
• Run and/or support the facilitation of workshops to prioritise, ideate and define opportunities
• Work with the wider organisation and cross functional project teams to explore business problems
At a capability level:
• Be the point of contact for all designers within the hub to go to for all design related questions and challenges
• Work closely with other discipline leads within the hub – from product management and technology – to execute a balanced approach to project work and product build
• Mange the hiring of design talent across all the disciplines
• Adapt and continuously iterate the methodology to execute projects in a rigorous way
At a strategic level:
• Work closely with the location Hub lead to evaluate prospective projects and products through a design lens
• Help shape the vision of Design in conjunction with other design hub leads from around the world and the head of design and innovation
What would be really great is…
• Your experience and ambition is even wider than ‘design’ and extends into lean and human centred innovation as well an appreciation of business rigour
• Whilst not expected to craft products in a hands-on manner, a solid understanding of UX and digital design practices e.g. design systems, usability testing etc as well as the tools associated with them – Sketch, InVision etc.
• You have worked in/with Product; having some knowledge of Product Management and Agile ways of working including user story writing, backlog management and acceptance criteria creation
• A quality of visual design and communication that is engaging and impactful – delivered through tools such as Adobe Creative Suite
• Have an understanding or at least appreciation of digital development and technology
• Keep up-to-date on the latest thinking in the world of design; having a real passion to bring the latest practices and tools into where and how we work
• Represent the design capability of the innovation hub externally in the design community and beyond – through speaking at events, academic tie-ins and online publications