The UK Short Term Power Trading team forms part of the European Power trading organisation. The Operations Analyst is part of a 2-man 16 hour / 5 days a week team which is responsible for supporting the commercial and operational management of SE-EE (Shell Energy Europe & Environmental) power activities in the UK.
The SE-EE power portfolio is an industry leading mix of remotely operated distributed generation assets, flexible renewable generation and algorithmically controlled storage assets. The UK Short Term Power Team was the first team to ever control aggregated generation units in the UK Balancing Market and the first team to ever control storage assets via the use of algorithms. The team continues to be the market leader in terms of short-term optimisation of physical assets.
• Remotely operating assets in the UK power portfolio
• Supporting the Trader to optimise portfolio using physical assets, wholesale market trading and balancing market trading
• Ensure compliance with customer asset restrictions such as emissions limits, running hours and availability
• Responsible for the accurate nomination and physical scheduling of remote power assets including batteries, gas reciprocating engines, offshore wind and CCGTs
• Responsible for ensuring Shell HSSE standards are maintained throughout all remote physical asset instructions
• Monitor UK Balancing Market and ensure all data facing the system operator is updated accurately and in a timely manner
• Maximise commercial opportunity by competitive pricing in the Balancing Mechanism
• Monitor performance of all assets/contracts and liaise with customer where necessary
The UK Power Trading Shift Team comprises six traders working a 24/7 shift pattern and two operations analysts providing support Mon-Fri. The team manages over 100 individually controllable assets in a portfolio containing 2,100MW of dispatchable volume between UK and NL. The UK power desk delivers 26TWh of power per year, nearly 10% of the entire UK market. Over 200 transactions are executed every day by the shift desk alone (excluding those done by algorithms), on behalf of a portfolio of over 700 customers.
The role requires the use of ~15 systems including bespoke operational and scheduling applications to manage positions and monitor portfolio performance. All communications are monitored for compliance with the relevant protocols, this role will directly face the customer on an ad-hoc basis.
This is an evolving role as part of the expansion of power trading within Shell, as such the processes and procedures change rapidly which requires team members to keep appraised on areas that affect their operational activities. Part of the role will be in liaising with the on-call power operations desk in order to deliver additional value and work towards building one cohesive and aligned gas and power trading team.
This position is for a role as part of the UK Short Term Power Trading team, the role involves working outside of normal office hours Mon-Fri. The Operations Analyst will at times be a lone worker and therefore must be comfortable to work without supervision.